MILWAUKEE — The latest addition to the Milwaukee County Zoo is a baby Gentoo penguin that hatched a week before the holidays kicked off.
As announced by the Milwaukee County Zoo, the chick of parents Fiona and Oscar hatched on Dec. 17. Although it will be seen in the habitat with its parents from time to time, the chick will spend most of its time growing and being cared for by zoo staff.
They say that the penguin chick isn’t being released into the habitat full-time yet because its waterproof feathers haven’t developed just yet.
TOP HEADLINES FROM THE WTMJ NEWS STAFF:
- Extended freeway closure of I-41 complicates travel this weekend
- Armed fugitive at large in city for violently attacking Barton woman
- Business leader breaks down 5 trends impacting the Milwaukee metro area in 2023
- 2 students robbed at gunpoint outside of University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee dorms
- “It’s a huge advantage”: Packers Hall of Famer highlights Green Bay’s one major edge in playoff pursuit
READ: “Wild Fan Mail” — Wisconsin fans ship badger to hometown hero J.J. Watt