Thanksgiving is one week away, and for some that means using a turkey fryer to cook the main course of their feast. The Racine Fire Department is reminding people to be careful using one after a fire call Wednesday afternoon.
The department got word around 2:30 p.m. that a garage on the 23-hundred block of Blaine Avenue was on fire. When firefighters arrived the structure was fully engulfed in flames. It didn’t take long for the fire to be put out, but the garage and everything inside it are a total loss. Losses are estimated at $20,000.
It was determined that an unattended turkey fryer inside the garage started the fire. The department wants to remind people that these types of fryers should never be used inside any building or on a wooden deck. If you do plan to use one, which is against the current recommendation by the National Fire Protectino Agency, it is best to keep the fryer at least 10 feet away from any building or combustable products.