Now that 2020 is in the rearview mirror, let’s focus on 2021 and making it the best year yet. We can start doing that by making healthy eating decisions, at least most of the time. These tasty lettuce wraps will get you started in the right direction. They work great for a quick snack, lunch, or light dinner. I will admit, I do struggle with the ‘mess factor’ when it comes to eating lettuce wraps so you may want to wear a bib or take off your nice work shirt before chowing down!
For the sauce:
-3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
-2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
-2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
-1 Tbsp. Sriracha (if you like it a little spicy)
-1 Tsp. sesame oil
-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-1 medium onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
-1lb. ground chicken or chicken sausage
-2 green onions, thinly sliced
-1/4 cup crushed peanuts
-Crunchy chow main noodles
-Freshly ground black pepper
-large leafy lettuce, rinsed and separated (Romaine, Bibb or Boston)
- We’ll start with the sauce. Whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, Sriracha (optional), and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Then stir in the garlic and ginger.. cook for about a minute. Add the ground chicken and cook thoroughly. Break up the meat as you go.
- Pour the sauce and cook for a few more minutes until sauce reduces.
- Turn off heat and stir in the green onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Let it cook and sit for a bit before scooping into lettuce leaves.
- Scoop mixture into lettuce leaves and top with crushed peanuts and chow mein noodles.
Do you have a special recipe you’ll like us to try? Send your suggestions to [email protected]