The tragedy out of Waukesha has been hard to process for many adults.
But parents also have to figure out how to talk about the incident with the children.
Calie Herbst of MKEwithKids.com has created a guide to help: How to Talk to Your Kids About Shootings & Senseless Violence.
1. If possible, wait until about age 8.
2. For very young children, tell a one-sentence story.
3. Limit media exposure of children 8 and under (especially visual images).
4. Find the helpers.
5. Start the discussion.
6. Gently clear up misconceptions.
7. Reassure them they are safe.
8. Look for solutions.
Hear the full interview with Herbst on Wisconsin’s Morning News in the player above.