It’s called a pie but it’s really a delicious cake with a creamy middle and chocolate slathered on top. It sounds a little intimidating but this recipe will have you thinking differently. This will be a sweet treat that your family will be coming back for more.
-1 box of yellow cake mix (any brand will do)
-1cups cold 2% milk (for the pudding)
-1 cup half and half (for the pudding)
-1 package (3.4 ounces) instant french vanilla pudding mix
-2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
-2 tablespoons butter
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-3 tablespoons hot water
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box. Pour into two greased 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake per the directions on the cake mix box. (I used non-stick pans and took it out about 10 minutes earlier than what the box says. Keep an eye on the cake so you don’t over bake… it always continues baking a little after you take it out of the oven)
- Cool for an hour before removing cake from pans. (You can do it earlier but some cake may stick to the bottom of the pan)
- In a small bowl, whisk milk/half and half and pudding mix for 2 minutes. (Follow the directions on the box) Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a microwave, melt the chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and enough water for a thick glaze.
- (Optional) Cut-off the brown edges of the two round cakes. (this is mainly for appearance only)
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with pudding. Top with the second cake layer. Spoon chocolate glaze over the top, let it drip down sides of cake. Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve it.