MILWAUKEE- Governor Tony Evers is asking the federal government for help in cleaning up winter storm damage in three south-east Wisconsin communities that occurred last month.
The governor’s office says Evers reached out to President Donald Trump via letter on Monday.
Roughly $30 million worth of damages were recorded along the shoreline in Milwaukee, Racine, and Kenosha counties during the storms on January 10th through the 12th. Much of the damage was caused by high winds that caused waves from Lake Michigan to go up and over the breakwater barriers.
One of the heaviest hit places in Milwaukee was the Port of Milwaukee and Jones Island. Flooding there forced both locations to temporarily shut down.
FEMA’s public assistance program would help cover 75% of eligible costs, while the State of Wisconsin and local municipalities would be responsible for the remaining 25%.