If there is one thing I have learned in constructing these power rankings each week, it is the drop-off between the 9th and 10th ranked teams. The creamy middle of todays NFL includes 8 teams that are all OK, but don’t really strike fear in the opposition. The best of those 8 teams is (currently) the Arizona Cardinals. Sure, on any given day the Cardinals could be a real headache, but a deep playoff run is not in the cards. Not exactly going out on a limb here, but the eventual Super Bowl winner will come from teams in the top 9.
- KC Chiefs
- With respect to the brilliant season Aaron Rodgers is having, Patrick Mahomes is the league’s mid-season MVP.
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- The best start in franchise history (8-0).
- Baltimore Ravens
- Their 24-10 win over the Colts was a bit of a rock fight. Baltimore will face the Patriots, Titans and Steelers in consecutive weeks.
- New Orleans Saints
- Welcome back Michael Thomas! The Saints have won 5 straight with the 49ers, Falcons, Broncos and Falcons (again) up next.
- Green Bay Packers
- Aaron Rodgers is finding success behind a fluctuating offensive line that is thriving in run blocking and pass protection.
- Buffalo Bills
- Josh Allen has his groove back, but the running game remains a bit of a mystery.
- Seattle Seahawks
- In Seattle’s two losses, Russell Wilson has a total of 7 turnovers.
- Tennessee Titans
- I feel like I’m punishing the Titans by dropping them a spot after earning a win over the Bears. Oh well. I’m jus excited to watch Derrick Henry when the weather turns nasty.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- In two games against the Saints, Tom Brady’s stat line includes 2 touchdowns, 5 interceptions and 6 sacks….oh…and two losses.
- Arizona Cardinals
- The Rams, Colts and Dolphins (?) could all be in this slot. Same for the Raiders and maybe the Browns. Of all the teams I listed, I think Arizona has the highest ceiling.
Knocking on the door: Rams, Colts
- (28) NY Giants
- Every time I watch the Giants, I come away impressed with the effort, but not the result.
- (29) Washington Football Team
- Winnable games exist against the Lions, Bengals and Cowboys.
- (30) Dallas Cowboys
- Solid effort against the Steelers, but no where near enough at quarterback right now.
- (31) Jacksonville Jaguars
- Right in the thick of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.
- (32) New York Jets
- I really don’t even know what to say anymore.