MILWAUKEE (AP) — Wisconsin has gone over 500 confirmed deaths from the coronavirus, according to state Department of Health Services figures released Saturday. The report showed 481 new COVID-19 cases, for a total of 14,877, and an additional 11 deaths, for a total of 507. Two news deaths were reported in Milwaukee County, increasing the county’s total to 251. The updated numbers followed two consecutive days of record tests, which have nearly quadrupled on a daily basis from two weeks ago. State officials are urging residents to maintain social distancing and other safety measures during the holiday weekend. The Department of Natural Resources announced that while state parks will resume normal hours this weekend, visitors won’t have access to bathrooms until early next month.
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The state Department of Natural Resources says state parks will resume normal hours this weekend but visitors won’t have access to bathrooms until next month. Most state parks have been operating with reduced hours and no bathroom access as the state grapples with the coronavirus pandemic. The DNR announced Friday those parks will resume normal hours starting Saturday. Visitors will have limited access to bathrooms beginning June 3.All campsites will remain closed, however. Rock Island State Park is closed for all use, however. Ferry service to the island is suspended due to high lake levels.
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The state Department of Natural Resources board is set to vote on tighter elk harvest limits in 2020. Hunters were allowed to kill up to 10 bulls during the state’s second elk season last year. DNR officials want to reduce the limit to six this year. They say state hunters should be allowed to kill three and Chippewa tribal hunters can take three. They say hunters are targeting older bulls and warn that practice will hurt hunting and elk viewing opportunities if it continues. The board is set to vote on the 2020 limits during a meeting Wednesday in Madison.
BALSAM LAKE, Wis. (AP) — The full U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has reversed a decision by three of its judges last year that said Polk County was not responsible for the repeated sexual assault of two female jail inmates by a guard. The decision preserves a $4 million damage award for the two women. The full court found the jury had sufficient evidence that the county chose to “stand by idly” while the women were exposed to “an unmistakable risk” of being sexually assaulted. The Journal Sentinel says the former guard, Darryl Christensen, is serving a 30-year prison sentence for the assaults which happened dozens of times between 2011 and 2014.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.